Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Craft post: Pillow

Hey everyone!

I hope everyone is having a great week so far.  Upon moving to the states I discovered a new craft store called Jo-ann's.  Apart from the standard arts & crafts supplies, it sells fabric too (one of my many new addictions).  My favorite part of Jo-ann's are the clearance fabric bins.  These bins usually contain discontinued or remnant fabric pieces.  I always have a great time browsing through the bins hoping to find something useful.  The fabric rolls are really a hit or miss and luckily I've been able to find really beautiful neutral pieces.  Although I love looking at fabric, I have a confession to make.   I don't know how to sew (lol).  Luckily Mr C brought over his mom's sewing machine... my new favorite toy.  Being a lab geek, I decided to be adventurous and just read the sewing machine manual because after all it's just like an SOP right? After some reading and practicing on an old shirt, I set out to sew my first project.  I decided to use my fabric to make a pillow case cover for a used pillow that Mr C no longer wanted. I decided the case needed to fit a pillow folded in half so I had to make the cover a box instead of the typical flat pillow case.  After some measurements and some sewing machine malfunctions, I ended up with the pillow case below! Don't you just love the colors? I'm really digging grey right now.  It's so pretty and I can now understand why people love the color ;)  I used velvet for the front, a dotted grey fabric for the sides and a pop of green for the back.  I think it came out pretty well for my first attempt.  This just proves you can do anything :D  Now I just need to go back to Jo-ann's for some more fabric. 

Love,
Janet

   





No comments:

Post a Comment