Monday, February 25, 2013

Food Post

Hey everyone,

Hope everyone is doing well on a Monday.  Hang in there, just a few more days until the weekend.  Anyways, I thought I'd do a food pos today since my food pictures are just building up!

Me and Mr C have been trying hard to explore our roots.  We're exploring our Asian roots by cooking all our favourite dishes.  We've been making our favourite dishes with the help of YouTube and from things we've seen in our childhood.  All the tastes and flavors bring us back home.  I've recently been really into steaming our food.  I steamed some chicken, mushrooms and green onions recently and it was delicious.  I definitely prefer this method instead of pan frying which I find dries the meat out.  I also made some green onion pancakes.  This is so good and easy to make.  I would definitely recommend it.  However to make it taste even better I'd probably use more oil next time. 

 
 
Another favourite dish of mine and Mr C is braised beef noodle.  We used to eat this all the time at Asian Legend in Toronto.  Definitely a hearty soup to eat on cold days! Being brave and adventurous, Mr C bought some spices (Star Anise is the star ingredient) at an asian supermarket and we just let it shimmer with some beef chunks, water, carrots and daikon for a few hours.  Try not to add too much water because we found it only dilutes the flavour.  Mr C added fried tofu as well.  The end result was this bowl of soup.  We added some noodles, but you could definitely eat it with rice.  The best part is that is tastes even better as the days goes by and it lasts for almost 1 week! Definitely a budget friendly recipe. 

 

Having watched this YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVlpDFZxIPE) I became so fascinated with these buns.  I just loved how pretty they came out in the video.  So being curious, I decided to make them one evening.  Mr C's brother was also visiting so I thought it would be a nice dessert.   If you've ever made bread, it's the exact same process.  The hard part came when I realized I didn't have a Chinese steamer.  Not to fear, Mr C helped me fry them up with water and oil.  Unfortunately they didn't look like the video's buns, but they were very delicious.  I think I'll definitely try the recipe again, but make white buns called "man tou" instead.  I also poured some water onto the buns, which is a big NO-NO :P hahaha, they just deflate. 


 
 
 If you know me well, then you know I love all cute things.  During an excursion to the Japanese supermarket I came across these little gadgets.  They are little plastic moulds for eggs.  I've been eyeing these for awhile but caved when I saw the rabbit/bear design... lol.  Aren't they super cute? You basically boil an egg, deshell it and then press them into these little containers.  Then you dunk them into cold water.  They come out as a little bunny or bear! It's a fun way to eat an egg, because it just brings a smile to your face. 
 

 
I also tried making mochi as well.  It's really easy to do and you just need some rice flour, flavouring and a microwave! I don't have any pictures as it's on Mr C's phone, but I'll definitely post ASAP. 
 
Take care and stay warm! Hope you enjoyed the food post!
Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment