Tuesday, May 7, 2013

What's for dinner?

 I love Vietnamese food.  Banh mi's, Pho (beef noodles), cold rice noodles with yummy deep fried spring rolls make my mouth water (hehe).  One of my most favorite dishes/appetizers are these cold spring rolls.  I don't recall the proper name for them (if any of you know, please let me know). 

We are trying to eat heathier by incorporating more seafood and veggies into our diet.  This week is shrimp week.  I decided I had to make this dish. 

 These spring rolls are so easy to make as it requires a bag of rice noodles, shrimp, some sort of veggie like lettuce (I used spinach instead) and of course rice wrapper (resembles pieces of paper made our of rice and tapioca). The hardest part of the process was cleaning the shrimp, but I think this could be eliminated by using tofu or even sausage. 

You have to boil the noodles first and then place them on a flat surface to dry and cool down.  Next you boil the shrimp and now you can assemble :D  For each spring roll, you'll need to quickly soak the rice wrapper in warm water and then quickly place it flat on a dish.  Then you put some shrimp, noodles and lettuce in the middle of the rice paper.  Fold the top down and roll a bit before you fold in the sides.  For my first few rolls I attempted to do the sides first, but realized everything just stuck together (these darn things are so sticky!).  

All done :) Make a peanut sauce and you're good to go.  I think I'm going to try this with tofu tonight!

Take care,
Janet
  

No comments:

Post a Comment