Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Healthy Pad Thai & Needle Felted Hearts

Hey everyone,

Yeah it's finally Wednesday! A few more days until the weekend :)

It's time for an overdue food post!  A couple of people have asked me where my food posts were recently, and honestly I haven't made anything worthy of a post... until now!  Lately, I've been craving pad Thai! It's so delicious and hands down my favorite dish!  The downside is that it is kind of greasy in restaurants.  I love the flavor of the dish, but I'm not a fan of having to run it off after! :P

Anyways, I remember making pad thai a few years ago, and the noodles just stuck together into a ball.  Something I recently discovered was that if you pre-soak the noodles in water for around 15 minutes they hardly stick together when you cook them.  :) Yay.  I think my pad Thai came out pretty well.  Mr C said it was delicious :P  I used about 1.5 tablespoons of oil, which is a small amount compared to the restaurants.   If you want the dish to be more moist I'd probably suggest 3-4 tablespoons. (my dish was kind of dry)  On medium heat, I fried up some tofu, green onions and dried shrimp.  It's amazing how much flavor green onions and shrimp pack (yummy).  When the tofu becomes golden, add the noodles and add 1/4 cup of water to steam the noodles.  Try to stir the tofu into the noodles.  Next, add 6 tablespoon of the pad Thai sauce.  I kind of cheated and bought this at the local supermarket.  It contains tamarind paste, sugar and vinegar.  It helped make make the dish more authentic and SO tasty.  Mix the noodles well (you want everything to be coated with the sauce).  Next add 2 eggs and cook until the eggs are done! Such a quick and easy dish. :)  Just add some green onions and peanuts and serve.  





I also had some time to make watercress and pork soup, a traditional Asian soup.  Watercress is so yummy and healthy.  The most annoying part is washing the veggies though.  Try substituting the pork with chicken or veggie stock if you're not a fan of pork.  I love putting a few dumplings and edamame beans in the soup too. 



Lastly, I spent the afternoon working on a new needle felting project.  I've been fascinated with bows and hearts recently, so I decided to make this heart charm.


It's hanging on a drawstring by the window right now :) I think I might try to make larger hearts so I can decorate our room.   What do you guys think?


Lastly, I thought I'd post a picture of my latest craft purchase.  The Martha Stewart paper tape! :) So pretty and festive :D  Can't wait to use them


 Take care everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment