Monday, March 18, 2013

Food Post: Robot Hello Kitty Fondant Cake

Hi hi hi,

Hope everyone had an amazing weekend.  This weekend we tried two new restaurants and even had the chance to explore Gas Works Park (2101 N Northlake Way, 98103) as well as Woodland Park (1000 N 50th St, 98103)! I'll blog about them once I steal the pictures off Mr C's phone!  I'm totally a city girl, but I must admit that I've grown to love the outdoor activities that Washington State has to offer.  The green space here is amazing!

Anyways, on the weekend we had the chance to make a cake.  We tried our hand at making a fondant cake.  Originally I had asked Mr C to make me a rainbow layered cake and then a purple gradient cake.  I had seen a talented friend's rainbow cake on Facebook, and since then I have dreamed about my very own colorful cake.  This of coarse gave Mr C a minor headache as I think he spent a few days thinking about how to proceed with this request.  After much discussion, we agreed to a two layer mini cake that was just purple.  I need to work on those negotiation skills.   

On day 1, Mr C made the sheet cake with a recipe from Magnolia bakeries.  We used coloring gel to give the cake a lavender color.  We didn't have a formula to follow so we just kept adding a few drops of blue and red.  In the end we just settled for a purple-grey color.  I was responsible for making the marshmallow fondant.  I was introduced to this last year from a good friend of mine.  I remember she told me about making your own fondant with marshmallow!  Ingenious, who knew fondant could be made out of marshmallows?! This stuff is addictive and I kept eating during the evening.  I followed a youtube video online (msg me if you're interested).  It was pretty easy to do, just marshmallows, water and a lot of powdered sugar.  However, I am warning you that this stuff is really sticky.  Make sure to grease your hand because my hand became a giant marshmallow glove.  Urgh.  I was determined to make it work and I did it.  I just added more powdered sugar and kept kneading it.  I told Mr C I would make it work because I couldn't mess up the only job I was given! 

On day 2 the cake was ready, but my fondant was stuck to the plastic wrap (urgh).  It was so bad we thought it couldn't be recovered, but it was okay... lol.  I just kept adding powdered sugar.  After rolling out the white fondant we covered the cake with the fondant and proceeded to cut off any leftover pieces.  The white fondant was too plain for me so I decided to transform our cake into a robot hello kitty.

Anyways after all those ups and downs this is the end result.  My Hello Kitty fondant cake.    Ta-da.  I hope all you hardcore bakers are proud of me and Mr C.  It tasted so good... YUMMO.   





1 comment:

  1. What a cute cake! I don't usually like eating fondant...but I think your recipe with marshmallow would be good. Gas Works Park? That sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete