Thursday, March 28, 2013

What's for dinner?

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the lack of posts! I am working on a major project that I hope to launch some time in April.  It has to do with my needle felting and Etsy.  So who knows what will happen, but I'll be sure to keep you guys posted :)

Anyways, I thought it was due time for a new post, so this one will be a "what's for dinner" post =p.  The weather in Washington was beautiful today! I was wearing my jacket and it was definitely too warm for it.  I even had to open up the window because the room was getting a little stuffy.  It was nice seeing the sun and hearing birds chirping outside our window.  The sounds of nature are so wonderful.  Anyways, originally we were going to go out for dinner, but I decided to go out to Trader Joe's and see what I could find for dinner.

Lucky for me I found some things and made tonight's dinner.  I made sweet and sour drumsticks as well as sauteed asparagus with garlic.  The asparagus looked so fresh at the store, I had to grab a bundle!

For the chicken dish, I followed the ingredients for this recipe http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-and-Sour-Drumettes/Detail.aspx and made some modifications based on the comments.  The following are some modifications I made if you're interested :)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • Used rice vinegar 
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon of water
  • Omitted egg, flour and water
On medium heat, I added oil and garlic and pan fried my chicken.  I waited until the outside looked cooked and then added the sauce.  The sauce will start to bubble, so keep an eye on it.  Once the chicken looks about 80% cooked and the sauce thickens, turn down the heat (around the 15 minute mark).  I then transferred the drumsticks onto a baking sheet, added some sauce from the pot and broiled on low for about 10-15 minutes.  Use a thermometer to check when the chicken is fully cooked.  Also keep an eye out as they burn easily!  They came out really well, and this is definitely a keeper! So yummy =)  Try it out if you LOVEE sweet and sour anything at Chinese restaurants!  What did you have for dinner tonight? :)

Take care,
Janet





No comments:

Post a Comment